Saturday, December 02, 2017

Five Minute Friday: NEAR




The reason I am writing my Five Minute Friday post on Saturday is that yesterday was a CRAZY day. 

I had to be at the university at 9 a.m. to spend two hours conducting interviews for teaching assistants for our course. 

Immediately after, I had to rush over to Jonathan's school so we could take him to a doctor's appointment. He sees a pediatric neurologist every six months because of his history of seizures, and her clinics are usually very busy. Yesterday we were there for over two hours: one-and-three-quarter hours of waiting, and fifteen minutes of actual appointment.

Then we had to take Jonathan back to school; it was nearly 2 p.m. by that point. Then I had to go back to pick him up again at 4 p.m. because he had stayed after school to participate for the first time in Special Olympics basketball. 

After supper I went out to a lecture and concert with a friend; it was really good and interesting, but very long. So I was glad to get to bed last night, wiped out from a day of running around.

At the beginning of the day, though, I'd been walking through the park on my way to campus and saw a guy coming toward me who often shows up at our church. He is intellectually disabled in some way; I'm not sure of his whole story. Because I walk pretty much everywhere and so does he, I often run into him. 

Most of the time he just looks as if he's upset with me and mutters something, so I don't always engage with him for very long -- and I was in a hurry this time. But when I said hello to him, he gave me a huge smile. "Is this Friday?" he said.

"Yes, it is," I said.

"And what date is it?" he asked, still smiling.

"Uh..." I paused; I hadn't been expecting a quiz! "December first."

"So, only one more month until 2018," he said, beaming.

"You know, you're right!" I said. "Isn't that amazing? Well, I should get going; bye!"

As we parted ways I thought, Wow, that puts it in perspective, doesn't it? Another month and 2017 will be past. Who would have thought the change to a new year was so near

Days can be packed with activity -- far more activity than I would have liked, yesterday -- and it's easy to just focus on the next thing, and the next, and the next ... just get through it and move on.

How do we make this month (the last one of 2017) really count? How do we keep from rushing numbly from event to event? 


"But when the fullness of time had come, 
God sent His Son..." 
(Galatians 4:4)

God sent Jesus at just the right time, placing Him right in the middle of our human life. God came up close and personal so that we could know Him -- so that we could be assured that even in the midst of our busy, fleeting days, He is near.







12 comments:

  1. I think I would have answered that question the same way you did! Thanks for sharing a slice of your busy life. You reminded me to pause and not rush through the season. I'm your neighbor at #68 from Five Minute Friday.... or Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki, thanks for coming by. I'm glad most of my days are a little less hectic than that. Even on quieter days, though, there can still be a temptation to zone out and not really reflect or notice what is important.

      Delete
  2. I'm thankful for the reminder of a new year. God is always near isn't he? I'm in the 45 spot this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's nearness fascinates me, as well as comforts me. As I heard Darrell Johnson say once, "Christ is in you, and you can't get closer than in." Immanuel and incarnation? What kind of God does that? It's a fascinating and comforting loving God who does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great quote, Tim. It IS such an awesome mystery. In "The Four Quartets" T.S. Eliot says,

      The hint half guessed, the gift half understood, is Incarnation.
      Here the impossible union
      Of spheres of existence is actual,
      Here the past and future
      Are conquered, and reconciled ...

      He tries, line after line, to capture the awesomeness of it, but human words just are not enough.

      Delete
  4. Reminds me of Jacob Astley's prayer on the eve of the battle of Edgehill in the English Civil War:

    Lord, Thou knowest how busy I must be this day. if I forget Thee, do not forget me."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love that, Andrew. That is a humble person's prayer. Thanks for being here today.

      Delete
  5. I have been thinking about your admonition to make the rest of this year count and not racing thoughtlessly through it and already I believe God has started to give me a picture of how I can do that for the rest of 2017. Thank you for your post and your comment on my post! Both are much appreciated. Your FMF neighbor #66

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by, and I'm glad my post spoke to you. It's really nice connecting with you through the FMF linkup. - Jeannie

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, it's so good to know, Jeannie. He is NEAR. Needing to remember this as I go through my busy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad this spoke to you, Betsy. Thanks for being here.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)