Friday, October 20, 2017

Five Minute Friday: DISCOVER


Today I'm linking up with the Five Minute Friday community, writing for five minutes on a given prompt. This week's word is DISCOVER.



I have been staring at the word "discover" all day, trying to think what to write about it.

Normally when we hyphenate this word at the end of a line, it looks like this:

dis-
cover

"Dis" means reverse (as in disentangle), so "discover" means reversing the covering, as it were: revealing and showing something that was previously hidden.

But if we hyphenate "discover" in the wrong place at the end of a line, it might become

disc-
over

and then it's reminiscent of the old days when we used to listen to vinyl records: "Please turn that disc over; Side A is done."

And if we change the verb "discover" to the noun "discovery" and hyphenate that incorrectly at the end of a line, we might get 

disco-
very

which allows us to continue with the musical theme: "I never really liked disco very much."

These are some of the fascinating discoveries I have made while pondering the word "discover."

They may not be the most profound insights ever unearthed -- but I like to think that all the best discoveries come from a process of taking things apart, rearranging them, looking at them in new ways, trying and failing and trying again ... and eventually dis-covering what was hidden and revealing it for all the world to see.




8 comments:

  1. I love this! I'm a word girl, too, so I enjoyed this little sneak peak into the inner workings of your brain. It sounds so familiar. (FMF #62)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a little scary, Tanya! Ha ha! Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Words are so awesome.

      Delete
  2. And then there's this variation with a slight misspelling:
    Disc-
    ovaries

    Those are the genesis of all those uncased and unlabeled CDs I keep finding, having no idea what's on them or why they were made in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, these ponderings help bring renewal to an overstressed mind. Interesting discoveries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I just wasn't in the headspace for anything deep. Discover is a rich word yet I just kept looking at it until it didn't even look like a word anymore....

      Delete
  4. Fascinating! Love where you went with this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara. It was different, anyway!

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to hear from readers, and I always reply!