Monday, April 14, 2014

Monday morsel: "there are no 'big' lives" (from Micha Boyett)

Micha Boyett is one of the bloggers I follow; in fact her former blog, Mama:Monk, was one of the first Christian blogs I started reading on a regular basis.  She has just published a memoir entitled Found:  A Story of Questions, Grace, and Everyday Prayer, which I'm very excited about reading (when I get it:  it is already out of stock at Amazon!).  The following excerpt is not from her book, but from a recent post entitled "Just as I Am" on the OnFaith blog; here she reflects on what she learned -- as an exhausted mom, weak in faith -- from her visit to a monastery:

"I began to notice that my life was small like the monks, full of motion and monotony, and also goodness. My life was valuable. And as I discovered its value, I began to believe I was known by a God who loves small things, a God who calls the daily repetition of my life sacred, despite my unimpressive spiritual resume. I began to believe that there are no 'big' lives. Everyone is ordinary. Everyone is living the same minute, the same hour as I am. We all walk through our days as they’re given to us. We all choose, moment by moment, whom we will be and how we respond to the time we’re given."



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing Micha's words here to the blog, Jeannie. I love her take on how we all deal with the ordinary. We worship a God who created the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the biggest lessons I've learned in life, Tim! We want to do big things for God -- and then we come to realize He is the one doing big things for/with/in us, in our own little lives. I think this is why I kept on reading Micha's blog when I discovered it: that honesty and authenticity about life and faith.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)