Monday, April 07, 2014

Monday morsel: e.e. cummings


 



I love this poem by e.e. cummings.  As the world seems to be awakening at last from The Endless Winter, I'm sharing it today as a celebration of spring.



i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun’s birthday; this is the birth
day of life and love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing anylifted from the no
of all nothinghuman merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

e.e. cummings

7 comments:

  1. Nothing like a spring day to fill the heart to bursting -- "for everything
    which is natural which is infinite which is yes." :-)

    Things are starting to green up some around here, but my forsythia is blooming late! Did it finally stop snowing where you are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, FINALLY. We had a lot of rain the other day which really decimated our snow, and we are expecting 25-35mm more of rain tonight. It's definitely spring!

      Delete
  2. That poem made me think of God's extravagance and 2 Corinthians 1:18-22 where Paul says that in Christ all of God's promises are "Yes." What an abundant God we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poem definitely has Biblical echoes for me, too, Tim. And extravagance is the right word.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely word for the changing season... wet though spring is, it's a welcome change from the pure white stuff of winter. Thanks for sharing this Jeannie. I expect many from these northern parts celebrate with cummings, with you and with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that's particularly so this year, Sarah!

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)