Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday morsel: "All the Diamonds" (from Bruce Cockburn)

Saturday night Richard and I went to a concert by one of our favourite musicians, Bruce Cockburn.  We've attended every concert he's put on in Kingston for the past 20+ years, and at 67 he is singing and playing better than ever.

He ended the concert with "All the Diamonds" -- saving the best for last.  The words are so beautiful, I thought I'd share them here today.  (To hear the song, see the video at end of this post.)


photo credit:  www.freeimages.co.uk


All the diamonds in this world
That mean anything to me
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea

I ran aground in a harbour town
Lost the taste for being free
Thank God He sent some gull-chased ship
To carry me to sea

Two thousand years and half a world away
Dying trees still grow greener when you pray

  Silver scales flash bright and fade
In reeds along the shore
Like a pearl in a sea of liquid jade
His ship comes shining
Like a crystal swan in a sky of suns
His ship comes shining. 

***** 




9 comments:

  1. An annual concert tradition for over 20 years! How special that must be for the two of you! Glad you shared this, Jeannie. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! That comment was me -- Adriana --I'm on my husband's computer and I forgot to sign in to Blogger! :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Adriana - I wish it were annual -- maybe more like every 3-5 years. But when he comes to town, we have to be there!

      Delete
  2. Wonderfully touching music, to go along with a wonderfully touching story of you and your husband, Jeannie. Thanks for sharing both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tim! If you did listen to the video I hope it was the one I added this morning, not the original live one I first put in when I posted it yesterday -- that one was really not good quality.

      Isn't that a lovely image of God sending a "gull-chased ship" to carry us to freedom? Bruce's lyrics are so original!

      Delete
  3. So stunning. Mark Twain wrote: The difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between a lightning bolt and a lightening bug.
    Bruce seems to find just the right words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure does, Sarah. Thanks so much for commenting.

      Delete
  4. What beautiful words. I'm going to listen to the video now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it, Betsy -- Bruce may have a new fan! Thanks for coming by.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)