Tuesday, April 09, 2013

It's party time!


It's my birthday today.  Thanks for coming to my party!  Help yourself to a piece of cake:  it's decadent yet calorie-free.

For this little blog party, I decided to send out invitations to the people whose blogs I enjoy reading.  But first I should say a special "Hi" and thanks to my non-blogging family and friends who visit here at Little House.  I couldn't invite you individually because though I know a few people are reading regularly (thanks, Mom, ha ha), I don't have an exhaustive list of all my readers.  Sometimes someone at church will say "I like your blog" and I hadn't even realized they read it.  So thank you!!  Whether you drop by daily or occasionally, I'm glad you're part of my little community.  And never be shy to comment on anything you read:  that's twice the fun, as far as I'm concerned.

****
Like Bilbo Baggins at his birthday party in The Fellowship of the Ring, I have a gift for each of my blogger friends, just to say thank you for the stories, insights, and ideas you share.  (Unlike Bilbo I don't plan to vanish, unless my internet connection goes down.)  Scroll down to find yours. 
****

For Maureen, who attends my church and blogs at Emotionally Rich:  thanks for caring about and praying for our kids.  I appreciate you very much.  You know the heart of Abba-Father, and you share His love with others.
 
****

For Sarah, who blogs at A Life Examined and elsewhere (and who attends my church, is in my writer's group, and is my good friend):  "If the Son sets you free, you are free indeed."  May your ministry of writing and speaking grow as God leads.
 ****

For Tim, who blogs at Just One Train Wreck After Another:  When you run out of interwebz, you can start handing out these Timbits from Canada's most popular coffee-and-doughnut shop, Tim Hortons.  I enjoy my daily visit to your blog.   You have a great gift for encouraging others in the faith and for connecting the Bible to real life in interesting, often humorous ways.  And thanks for stopping by to visit me so often, too.
****
 
For Adriana, who blogs at Classical Quest:  This door leads to Narnia -- but in fact I think you already live there.  You're a beautiful person, and I am happy to have come to know you and join you in your journey.  I enjoyed the photography-poetry post we did earlier this year, too; may it be just the first of many collaborations.  And may your quest bring you -- and God -- great joy.   
 ****

For Micha, who blogs at Mama: Monk:  Yours was pretty much the first Christian blog I started reading (I still remember the first post I read: "She was always being remade").  I kept on because it's so truthful, inspiring, and beautifully written.  You've said you like chocolate and poetry -- and you write wonderful poetry that I wish the whole world could read -- so here's something that combines the two in a way that's, well, not at all profound actually. 
****

For Heather, who blogs at Sober Boots:  I picked these out just for you because they are warm and comfortable and have big hearts -- which I think also describes you and your blog.  I read a comment of yours on another blog and there was "something" that just made me check yours out and keep dropping by.  You have an amazing ministry in the area of addiction and recovery.  That's probably because you exude the grace you've experienced, so people feel safe sharing their stories.
 ****

For Ellen, who blogs at Faith, Disability, Ethics and the Crooked Way of Grace:  I got you this T-shirt;  I hope it fits even though it's only got two dimensions.  I admire how you bravely and faithfully tackle the hardest of subjects  (from gun control to reproductive ethics) and the testiest of commenters!  You are "bold as well as strong," as our friends Mumford & Sons would put it.
 
  ****

For Matthew, who blogs at thealreadynotyet:  Next time you're asked to bring dessert, you can make this Venn diagram pie:  I guess you could call it "thecherryblueberry."  I enjoy your blog because it's honest and humble.  I especially like "Hump Day Hymns" on Wednesdays.
  ****

For Amy Julia, who blogs at Thin Places:  This picture reminded me of your blog because it focuses on where heaven and earth meet.  You do that in your blog, too, showing us that "the image of God" is bigger and more inclusive than we ever thought.   As a mom of 2 "special" kids, I'm continually informed, challenged, and touched by your writings about disability and faith.
****

For Anne, who blogs at Modern Mrs. Darcy:  This magazine made me think of your blog; in fact, they probably plagiarized several of your ideas.  I enjoy reading the wide range of topics you post on:  mentoring, books, fashion, food, personality types, parenting, and so much more.  Your blog keeps me young (ish).  And you're a great community-builder.
****

For Nick, who blogs at Scribblepreach:  I'm new to your blog; I enjoy it because faith and writing are two things I'm very interested in, too.  I hope you're posts continue to illicit allot of commence.


 ****

Thanks to all of you for blessing me with your words and insights.  Daily I'm impressed and humbled by how all of you write so well on such a range of subjects; I'm especially humbled by those of you who get, like, 45 comments per post!  (But "comparisons are odorous," as one of Shakespeare's characters so elegantly put it...) 

When I first started my own blog in 2007, I didn't really have any theme in mind for it, but just intended to write reflections and updates on family, books, and whatever else interested me.  (I suppose it still doesn't have much of a theme!)  At the time blogging felt very much like a solitary pursuit:  I knew there weren't many people reading my posts, but it was still enjoyable to put my thoughts out there.  It feels quite different now that I've spent more time reading and commenting on other blogs and finding some kindred spirits.  I know some people think online community is an artificial refuge for introverted geeks with no life (I represent that remark!), but I haven't found that to be so.  The sheer number of people who are blogging today shows just how many of us have a desire to communicate with others about the things that matter to us; and when we do that, we find out -- surprise! -- those things matter to other people, too.

****

Thank you again for dropping in today.  Feel free to have some more cake -- if it runs out, maybe Tim can share a few of those Timbits.  Have a great day, and God bless every one of you.  

"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power 
through his Spirit in your inner being, 
so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith."
(Ephesians 3:16-17) 

 See you soon!

Jeannie 

17 comments:

  1. What a fun birthday blog party! I LOVE this! You are a beacon of joy, dear Jeannie! I'm SO touched by the gift you've given me. I'm sending you a cyber-hug and blessings for your special day.

    And thank for the introductions -- such a lovely way to meet new friends! I'm waving HI to those I know: Anne, Tim,& Nick. I'm shaking hands with everyone else. Nice to "meet" you all! :)


    Oh and that zero-calorie cake looks dreamy I'll take a center piece, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing about this cake is they're all centre pieces ... or all edge pieces. Whatever you like.

      Thanks for stopping by, Adriana; I'm glad you could be part of my celebration. (I see you gave me a shout-out on Facebook too. Thanks!) Enjoy your studies over the next month. God bless!!

      Jeannie

      Delete
  2. I'll begin with the creativity of all you've done here Jeannie... as usual you demonstrate the 'giving greater than receiving principle.' On your birthday how generous you are to show the encouragement and thoughtfulness you do. Sharing your creativity is such a blessing to others.
    Calorie-free cake is a dream too!
    Thank you for your lovely gift of prayer. It touches my heart and right where the LORD's heart for me seems to be.
    May your day be filled with joy, overflowing!
    And as Adriana has said already, it's lovely to meet some I've never met before. I shall sign into all the blogs above... as the old expression says, "Any friend of yours is...."
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah -- so glad you could join me today! See you on Sunday, I hope.

      Jeannie

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, Jeannie! And a very merry Un-Birthday to everyone else! Mmm, cyber-cake ... sounds like breakfast to me. And Timbits for everyone, of course.

    Jeannie, this is one of the most thoughtful posts of appreciation I've ever read. Thank you for thinking of me, and for sharing your wonderful thoughts about everyone else too.

    HBD!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, I'm very happy you could come to my party. A celebration isn't a celebration unless your friends drop by! God bless.

      Jeannie

      Delete
    2. P.S. I see what you meant about John Knightley. "Business may bring money, but friendship hardly ever does..." But the best things in life are free.

      Delete
  4. Happy bloggy birthday! I love the way you've chosen to celebrate. Thanks for the kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Anne -- I'm glad you could drop by to be part of the celebration! Blessings,

      Jeannie

      Delete
  5. "They" (whoever "they" are) say that one mark of a successful blogger is a spirit of generosity, a willingness to share and be hospitable. By that measure, you are one heck of a blogger. I love your creativity. I am humbled by your gift for me (I would TOTALLY wear that shirt). I'm so glad we found each other's writing here on the interwebz (I think we have Tim to thank for facilitating that). So many of your favorite bloggers—Micha, Amy Julia, Tim--are not only favorite writers of mine, but also favorite people. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen - I'm glad you could come by, and I'm glad to know you. Thanks for your very nice words. "See" you very soon!

      Jeannie

      Delete
  6. Thank, you Jeannie! This is such a fantastic idea I don't know what to do with myself. I was hoping yesterday afternoon that you weren't going to end with, "I'm going now. Good-bye" and then disappear from the blogosphere forever. Glad it went a little differently. And...E.B. White is just THE man for writing. Period. He's hot stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, at least I didn't tell you all I had a ring to give away to whoever wanted it! ("My precioussssss.....")

      E.B. IS hot stuff. Stuart Little has one of my favourite endings of any book. "... a person who is looking for something doesn't travel very fast..."

      Thanks for stopping by and joining the fun! "See" you soon.

      Jeannie

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday Jeannie! Thank you so much for your generosity in giving gifts to us all. I receive from you in so many ways. I really enjoy your blog, am inspired when I see and hear you sing (hey, everybody, Jeannie can really sing!) and appreciate so much your encouraging comments. Thank you for introducing me to your blogging community. Tim's comment on my last post was the first I've received from someone that I don't know personally. I was so excited! I want to check out all of the blogs you're connected with.
    "I thank my God every time I remember you. ... being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Phil. 1:3,6 Bless you, Rich and your precious kids! Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, I too know the thrill of getting a comment from a "virtual" friend (which is a false distinction actually; a friend is a friend is a friend, as it says on Veggie Tales...) I possibly spend too much time reading blogs when I should be marking student assignments, but the rewards are many! There are some wonderful blogs out there and when you hit the ones that work for you they just speak to your heart. Thanks for stopping by today, and thanks yet again for your faithful prayers and encouragement esp with Allison.

      Love, Jeannie

      Delete
  8. Jeannie,
    Happy Birthday! Thank you for the kind and encouraging words. Definitely what I needed right now. I was also in disbelief of that pie. It is really neat, and I totally like the name, "thecherryblueberry". It is truly humbling to be included among these other bloggers, many of whom are new to me. In fact, this is the most fun about it, being able to be introduced to other bloggers previously unknown to me.

    This is by far the best online birthday party I have ever attended (to be honest, this is the only one, but if I have had others, this would still likely be the best). Thank you for your generosity and kindness to give a shout-out to so many bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought that pie was quite something as well. I googled "Venn diagram images" and (as people seem to be saying nowadays??!!!), WALLA!

      I honestly am quite new to the whole Christian blogger world and I'm very much enjoying what I'm finding there, uh, here.

      I'm very glad you could stop by today. Looking forward to seeing you again in the virtual sense! Blessings,

      Jeannie

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)