Tuesday, March 19, 2013

"a great responsibility"

As Lent winds along I'm still pondering the "looking for the good" theme which I posted about here a few weeks ago.  Last month I wrote about going to the Tenors' concert.  They have a new album, "Lead With Your Heart," so of course it behooved us to buy it.  ("Behooved" isn't a word I get to use every day, so I have to take any opportunity I can.)

Last week the CD arrived from Amazon, and it's wonderful!  Jonathan still doesn't quite trust it, though.  He's so familiar with their "Perfect Gift" CD that (even though it's Christmas-themed) he still prefers that one; I ask him, "Which Tenors do you want, Jonathan?" and he replies, "Hallelujah Tenors."  But I'm sure he'll come around with a few more listens...

I like reading CD liner notes to find out more about the songs a singer or group chooses to record.  One of the most beautiful songs on the album is "Anchor Me" (watch a live performance here) with this chorus:

When sadness crashes like an ocean,
When fear is deeper than the sea,
When I am swallowed by the darkness,
Will you come and anchor me?

It could be a prayer to God asking Him for His strength and presence, or just a cry to another person for support; either way it's powerful and inspirational.  I was particularly struck by the group's liner notes about this song:

"Every day, whether in person or online, we connect with our [fans].  We often hear stories that range from hardship and tribulation, to joy and transformation.  It's incredible to learn how people turn to our music to help them through difficult situations, as a catalyst to pursue their dreams, or as an inspiration for a new chapter in their lives.  With this comes not only a great sense of pride but also a great responsibility to choose repertoire that comes from the heart, strengthens and inspires."



I think this is a wonderful example not only of looking for the good, but of being an instrument to help others seek and find it.  The fact that they feel a sense of responsibility to choose songs that inspire and strengthen their listeners is impressive.  It also reminded me of this Bible verse from Philippians 4:8:


Finally, brothers and sisters, 
whatever is true, whatever is noble, 
whatever is right, whatever is pure, 
whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--
think about such things.






3 comments:

  1. It behooves all of us to "look for the good!":) I love your theme.


    I just listened to "Anchor Me." [long sigh...]It moved me, Jeannie. It spoke to where I am right now with an issue in my life. Last night my husband told me to have faith and I asked him to have faith for me because every time I think about this challenge before us, I just feel ill. I love your hopeful message. I will make an effort to trust and to look for the good today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adriana, thanks for sharing. I've certainly experienced in my life, too, how we sometimes need others to have faith for us when we can't. I have prayed for you this morning, that God's anchor of peace will hold You so firm and close to Him that you will feel His presence no matter what. xo

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)