Thursday, February 14, 2013

"Let us love one another"

to my family.





Lest you think this is going to be a rose-coloured description of our family's Waltons-esque perfection, I should confess that the picture below is closer to what we look like at times:

... like at Sunday lunch, when Jonathan was snooping around the hot pots on the stove instead of going to wash his hands like I'd asked him to do five times already, and in the course of the table-setting process I believe I actually said, with no ironic intent, the words "What is this -- the Spanish Inquisition?"  Ouch.  We ended up saying grace through gritted teeth. 
But I do love my family:



Richard, my #1 Valentine.  To the world Richard is a talented athlete, a dedicated volunteer, and a skilled nurse and nursing instructor.  To me he's a great friend and to the kids he's a great dad.  He and I do things together, but we also have our separate interests and pursuits. I walk, he runs.  I write and blog, he collects stamps.  I cook, he eats.  :-)  We enjoy one another's company.  I can't imagine being married to anyone else.  Happy Valentine's Day, hon!  xo xo



Allison, my sweet daughter:  avid reader, excellent writer, super game-player, and infectious giggler.



And Jonathan:  yellow-blue-red champion, jigsaw-puzzle master, great cuddler, proud owner of world's cutest smile (dimples included).

Valentine's Day isn't about flowers or chocolate.  Correction: maybe it is kind of about chocolate.  But mostly it's about love.  


"Dear friends [and family!]:  
let us love one another, for love comes from God."
I John 4:7

13 comments:

  1. Now that's a beautiful valentine to your family, Jeannie! And your picture of the family looks somewhat like mine at times. The second picture, that is.

    Tim

    P.S. Your daughter still rocks that page boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure does!! And yeah ... those Simpsons were on to something about human nature, weren't they.

      Hope you and your wife have a great Valentine's Day. My husband is working a 7am - 7pm shift so we'll have a special dessert together (probably a threesome with our daughter) after he gets home from work. Chocolate WILL be consumed tonight.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely Valentine! Just what is at the heart of V Day!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! Hope you had a nice day as well.

      Delete
  3. "saying grace through gritted teeth" -- Glad to know we aren't the only family to does that sometimes!

    How did I miss this post on VDay?!! Love it. What a precious family you have, Jeannie. I'm SO enjoying getting to know you better through your blog!


    P.S. Is there anyway I could follow you via email? That is how I follow all of my favorite blogs nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adriana,

      Do you mean getting email notifications whenever I post? Hmmm, I thought I used to have it set up that way ... I wonder if when I was fiddling with settings I changed something. Is that what you're looking for?

      I'm flattered I'm among your favourite blogs -- the feeling is mutual! Thanks again for stopping by. And yeah, it's always nice to find out other people's families are not perfect. Perfection is WAY overrated anyway. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Okey-dokey, just added what I think is the correct gadget -- I hope that works (?). I'm not as technical as I look, you know.

      Delete
    3. Yea! It worked! I'm officially following you via email!

      Delete
    4. I thank you for the honour of your compliments and have the highest respect for your character...

      I'm in Jane Austen mode as you can see.

      Delete
    5. Wow, I'm honoured. "‘What is all this about Jeannie Prinsen? What is there in her? What is it all about?"

      Extra points if you can guess whose name is actually supposed to be in that (actual) quote. Don't google it, that'd be cheating.

      Delete
    6. Stumped. And googling didn't help.

      Delete
    7. Jane Austen, actually! Spoken by Joseph Conrad to H.G. Wells, according to my sources.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)