Saturday, January 26, 2013

"I ate those brussels sprouts against my will" - and other word-y f un





Next week being Literacy Week, I thought I'd share what I think is the most fun thing we do with words in our house.

You know how some words are also names?

Well, it all started when one of us made some innocent comment like, "Isn't this a nice book mark?"

And another person said, "It's Richard, actually."  [In other words, not Mark.]

Or "We'll have to fix that curtain rod."

"It's Jeannie, actually."  [Not Rod.  You get the idea.]

Richard, Allison, and I now do this several times a day -- though usually not between bedtime and dawn.

Just see how many times you find yourself using a word at the end of a sentence that could also be a name.

"My pants are tight:  I think I should eat less."
"I'm sorry:  your argument doesn't convince."
"Do you know the Muffin Man who lives on Drury Lane?"
"Let's go on a picnic." 
"I can't wait for the next season of Downton Abbey."
"The movie is now out on Blu-Ray."
"That plane is headed for a crash landin'."
and so on ....

Feel free to add one of your own -- just don't repeat.  And of course, stop anytime when you've had your fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)