Sunday, January 06, 2013

Epiphany

This is one Christmas song I didn't include in my Advent carol series -- but when I got together with my friend Lori before Christmas for our annual caroling "date," we commented on how beautiful and prayerful the words of this song are.  So, since today is Epiphany, in which Western Christianity traditionally celebrates the Magi's visit to see the young Christ Child, I thought I'd share it here. 



As with gladness men of old did the guiding star behold,

As with joy they hailed its light, leading onward, beaming bright,

So, most gracious Lord, may we evermore be led to Thee.



As with joyful steps they sped to that lowly manger bed,

There to bend the knee before Him Whom Heaven and earth adore,

So may we with willing feet ever seek Thy mercy seat.



As they offered gifts most rare at that manger rude and bare,

So may we, with holy joy, pure and free from sin’s alloy,

All our costliest treasures bring, Christ, to Thee, our heavenly King.



I think there are more verses than these, but I like these the best because they compare us to the Wise Men:  just as the Magi followed the star, bowed before Jesus, and offered Him their gifts, so should we follow Jesus, worship Him, and give Him all we have to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)